Monday, June 19, 2006

US Open course set up

Personally I love the way they set courses for the champioship. The idea of course the USGA strive is to identify the best player. Setting up the course the way they do to to me is the best way to do this. You want to miss the fairway and you've got to be a putting machine.

It's sort of like the way us weekend player's have. Most of us don't play on perfectly manicured course's week in week out so there for when miss a fairway the lie's always ugly and we're happy to make par. Honestly it's exciting to watch the top player's in the world grinding out par's, just like the rest of us. It's only one week a year. Sure they don't make many birdie's but neither do I so that makes me feel a little better..

The pro's general feeling about this is best summed up by a quote from Vijay earlier in the week when asked why he hadn't played a practice round prior to Wednesday. He said " I know I'm going to get beat up this so why go and punish myself and more than i have too"...

No comments: